View Single Post
Old 08-21-2007, 12:26 PM

Default Re: I like Americans

[ QUOTE ]
I've only been to America once, but I used to live in London and met quite a few American tourists/travellers. Generally I've found Americans warm, friendly, polite and direct. Whilst in America, I didn't meet a single American I didn't like talking to, and I talked to quite a few - at poker tables, at shows, queueing and sightseeing.

I had a terrific time over there, not least because I got to meet and talk to a whole set of strangers of all ages who were open and friendly, and were happy to tell about themselves and hear about me. It was very cool.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm really glad you said this, DB. I happen to think Americans are pretty friendly too, even though I worry that we don't come across that way on message boards [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img].

When I first moved to Ohio I was struck by how outgoing and friendly everyone was. Even the really conservative old people were extremely polite. I thought damn, Americans are pretty nice (yeah, I'm an American but what the hell, that's what I thought). Americans get a bum rap. I've lived all over the U.S. and can say I am really impressed with how friendly and helpful most Americans are. (Actually, come to think of it, the least friendly state I've been in has been Hawaii - a state which I love, btw.)

I'm glad you thought the Americans you met in London were nice. Sometimes we hear that Europeans don't like us because we are arrogant and loud.