View Single Post
Old 08-21-2007, 11:25 AM

Default Re: Nuts on turn in reraised pot - 3/6 5max

I checked the turn. This is wrong. The K is a big scare card for his range, and only a fool would bet into it when I check. Even though I now have close to a lock hand, I should double barrel that King to extract value. Checking the King gets a check behind almost all the time.

Preflop his range is something like TT-AA and AK, that's pretty much it. On the flop, you can pretty much rule out AK and maybe JJ. His legitimate range on the flop is TT, QQ, AA. The K turn is pretty bad for all of these, although TT is not going anywhere of course.

Draws are not likely. You can pretty much ignore draws. If you have players floating flops with AK after its been 5-bet pre, you are going to make a lot of money.

My standard play has always been to check a turn like this, and also when I've c-bet with AK or AQ and hit my card on the turn. I think this is wrong. GreenPlastic on one of his latest cardrunners videos explained it better than I can, but its pretty obvious you should bet turn and river cards that are scarecards for his range because:

a) Lots of players use overcards/scarecards to bluff so to him, it looks like I might be doing that (this is more applicable to an AK c-bet hitting Ace on turn scenario)

b) To extract value - unless you're playing a real float and fire type of player, if you check when you hit, you get a heap of checks behind

In this hand, I checked, he checked behind of course, I fired river, and he folded saying "i never win with QQ"

If he did have QQ, which I think is extremely likely considering the action, I think there is a much bigger chance I get called on the turn than firing the river.