View Single Post
Old 08-21-2007, 09:58 AM

Default Taking a leave of absence from my life and traveling...Any advice?

Cliffs at bottom

Background:

For the past two years since I finished undergrad, I have been working full time and doing grad school part time. Currently, I am 24 and work as a corporate accountant. I make roughly 50,000 a year for working no more than 40 hours a week in a pretty relaxed environment. My job has been pretty flexible about taking off time for school and, in general, is not too bad of a gig.

One problem I am facing however is, I don’t care about what I am doing, and I don’t think I ever really have. I got my degree because I didn’t mind the material and it seemed practical, and then I started grad school and a job because of those seemed like logical next steps. This has all seemed fine in the past but in recent history (past 6 months) I have been dealing with what I can only describe as massive burnout. As it stands today, I’m 4 classes away from my masters, and I’m supposed to start back class on Monday. The problem is, I’ve gotten so sick of the entire thing that I can’t even remember why I’m doing it anymore.

My Plan:

I’ve decided to take a break from school, resign from my job, and take an extended road trip, basically hitting up all my friends and family that live across the east coast. I’m not sure how long I will be gone, though it could easily be anywhere from a few weeks to a few months, depending on how things go and how I feel. I’m not sure of my exact route but the rough draft so far looks like: Tallahassee, Atlanta, Memphis, Cincinnati, Dc, Boston, Detroit, and possibly more just kind of depending. Money is also not really an issue, I have more than enough saved and my only fixed expense is a 340/month car payment,

To be honest, I’m not sure what exactly I’m trying to accomplish, or if it will accomplish anything. I definitely stand the chance of leaving for two months, coming back, and still not being sure what I want to do. On the other hand, I feel confident that what I am doing at this very moment is not the correct path, and if I stay on it much longer I might not be able to get off.

I guess I’m just curious, has anyone felt trapped in a situation and done something some may call drastic? I’d also be open to any other advice/suggestions. Any places you think might be worth hitting up on the trip? I’ve got nothing but time.

Cliffs: Disillusioned with my current path, im quitting my job, taking a break from grad school, and going on a massive road trip in hopes that I can have some fun and possibly figure out what I want to be doing.