View Single Post
Old 08-21-2007, 09:26 AM

Default Re: question

Aussie,

I made the decision to present about all those different games because it's surprisingly easy to do so if you present it right. Basically, I have a slide for "Draw Poker" and explain in general how a draw poker game works, then it's followed by a slide naming the specific variants five card draw and TDL, and I can pretty easily explain that the only difference is the win condition. I do the same thing with "Stud Poker" and "Community Card Poker." Like, I can't talk to people who know absolutely nothing about poker and not at least introduce five card draw, and there's no way I could skip out on hold'em, and if I do that, it's pretty easy to mention TDL and omaha, and at that point, I might as well mention stud for completeness's sake.

Your bit about implied odds is killer here. That's just thing I was looking for. It's elementary enough that I can fit it in, and it's tricky enough that it'll be horribly misapplied. Something like "waiting for the turn to raise" and "protecting your hand" are devious concepts, but I'd have to spend about another hour talking about strategy in order to introduce those concepts. Expect the money to be shipped to you by tomorrow night.