View Single Post
Old 08-21-2007, 08:18 AM

Default 9/11 Conspiracies: Fact or Fiction?

There was a 2-hour History channel show on tonight attempting to debunk 9/11 conspiracies, hosted by Lester Holt. The main conspiracy theorists interviewed were Alex Jones and the guy that made Loose Change.

The first thing I noticed about this show was the labels they placed on everyone they interviewed. Anyone who disagrees with any part of the Bush administration's story are called "conspiracy theorists." People who support the Bush administration's story are called "experts." No qualifications are ever given for the "experts", except the word "expert" under their name.

The show went something like this: the "theorists" would talk about a certain aspect of the official 9/11 story they thought was wrong. Then an "expert" would explain why the theorist was wrong and why the official story was 100% true. I won't go into detail about each issue. They've all been discussed here many many times.

Overall, the show is pretty much what I expected. There were only two parts that kinda pissed me off. The first was towards the end when a guy from Popular Mechanics magazine said something like: "these conspiracy theorists are making up these stories in their heads and they refuse to look at the facts. They just believe whatever they want and won't listen to anyone else." Then they show the Loose Change guys working on the 3rd edition of their movie. They talked about how they're changing one part of it because it's been proven wrong. Which shows that they ARE willing to change their minds if presented with sufficient evidence.

The second part I thought was pretty lame was right at the very end when they interviewed some family member of one of the victims. She gets all pissy at them and talks about how they're insulting her dead husband or whatever. Get a grip lady. No one ever blamed your husband for anything. Are you saying that you don't want anyone to try to find out what really happened? If someone from my family died on 9/11, or anywhere, I'd want to know about and investigate every kooky theory I heard. I would THANK people for challenging every piece of the official story.

Conclusion: if you believed the official story before, your opinion won't change. If you believed the Loose Change/Alex Jones story before, you'd believe it slightly more now, if anything.