View Single Post
Old 08-20-2007, 06:04 PM

Default Re: Are large weddings worth the money?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What cultures still have the bride's parents spend the dough in these situations? And do they pay like 80%, or the whole deal?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is what I've been wondering. Not a single person in this thread yet has said that parents (typically bride's) have paid for their wedding (someone mentioned a portion was paid). Are parent funded weddings almost completely non-existent these days?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not at all. Parents very commonly pay for weddings. The old school rule is that the bride's parents pay, but obviously when a rich guy marries a not so rich girl, this gets thrown out the window.

In my case, my wife's mother is a divorced school teacher, so she wasn't in a position to pay. My parents have plenty of money, but I told them I didn't want them to pay. They probably would have if I asked them to, but for some reason I felt better just picking up the tab myself.

In any event, it's all the same pocket at the end of the day. Whether you spend x out of your pocket or your parents', you're other spending your current money or your future money (provided your parents don't [censored] you over in their will).