View Single Post
Old 08-20-2007, 04:42 PM

Default Re: Full swing with the irons

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The question how much power are you losing? How far would you hit a 7 iron with the same swing? If you are hitting the ball more pure this way, it might mean you have a full swing flaw - like maybe when you take a full backswing, you come over the top, but with the shorter swing, you stay inside the ball.

[/ QUOTE ]

like I said, ball has been going about the same, or more. Would you suggest correcting my full swing, or just using the shorter swing for my "go to" swing?

[/ QUOTE ]

How well are you hitting your full swing in terms of thin/fat/sweet spot? See I played around with something similar a couple years ago - I could choke down on by 7 iron - take 2/3 a swing - and hit these nice pure shots with a little draw - grass stain right in the center - perfect - except 30-35 yards shorter than my regular 7 iron. When I went to the full swing - I was coming over the top - hitting toward the toe - and getting the same distinace as the 2/3 swing. So I needed to fix my full swing because it was so bad - not so much the shorter swing was so good.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hit my 7 iron, with about 60% consistency. That means 60% of the time, I know that I hit it with a good swing, straight dead center, hard, accurate etc (with a full swing). I do it about 85% of the time with the shorter swing, with teh long swing I never did accelerate through the ball though, should I be? with a longer swing, I just kind of let it fly, with the shorter swing, I make sure I swing hard through the ball. I actually just got back from teh range, and was hitting my p-wedge about 100 to 150, and I actually could control how far it would go pretty well, compared to my full swing. I hit the pool like 4 times in a row at 110 yards when I hit that groove. I popped a little wood after that.

Its also possible that I was swinging too far back before, as I just got back from teh range and Im bringing the club up to a little lower than shoulder height for the longest hits, I may have only noticed this because I was conscientiously trying to figure out how far I brought it back today.