View Single Post
Old 08-20-2007, 04:07 PM

Default Re: Professional No-Limit Hold \'em Study Group Day 1

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The picture changes a bit once we are up against more aggressive players. They will often know about the "standard" nature of the raise/cbet line and call flop bets liberally in order to put you to the test on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Put yourself in the opponents shoes. Against aggressive players say we float and they lead on the turn. Is there a lot of value sticking a small raise in on the turn? Do you think against the average uNL TAG, LAG, this is going to win you enough medium sized pots to cover for when they are not bluffing and you get caught making a huge bluff for 60-70BB? What stats would you consider. CB%, Turn AF, anything else?

After rereading this it sounds like this is FPS and is really read based.

[/ QUOTE ]

These are just some random thoughts, not a complete manual.

Regarding the aggressive players I used in my example, those are often not very good aggressive players (aggrodonks if you will). Their strategy doesn't make sense because they will risk too much on the turn. But this doesn't mean we have to throw money at them on the flop when we can't call a turn bet. Let them have it when we miss, we will collect later and then some.

If we cbet with air just enough times so they will float us as well when we have a hand then we are exploiting them by denying them to steal enough from us to offset the times they float us and we have a strong hand. Cbetting every hand might be +EV as well because their strategy is not sound but my approach is more +EV.

Of course if they are thinking aggressive players we can/have to adjust in other ways as well.