View Single Post
Old 08-20-2007, 04:03 PM

Default Re: Are large weddings worth the money?

Speaking as someone who got married last Tuesday and attended another last night, I can say that expensive doesn't mean better. Last night my new wife and I attended a wedding at the Ritz-Carlton in DC which cost easily around 100k. Our wedding wasn't on a shoestring budget, but it was waaaaaaaay less (you'd have to ask her father how much exactly). Everyone we've spoken to, including the videographer who did both weddings, has said that ours was much more beautiful and fun.
A great wedding happens because of the people involved. If the majority of people invited are your age or close family friends, people tend to cut loose more and have a much better time. At my wedding the food was good but not overly fancy. The bar wasn't super stocked with only top shelf liquor. We had around 250 people and a third of that were our friends. And half of the remaining "older" people were good family friends. There were very few awkward or uncomfortable people. People spent more time dancing than eating and once the reception started the bar was barely used (pretty amazing considering there were around 90 people there between the ages of 20 and 26)
Spend what you can afford, but don't bankrupt yourself. Just make sure you invite people that are close with you/are fun.