View Single Post
Old 08-20-2007, 03:24 PM

Default Re: sports where you can 100% outplay your opponent and lose?

[ QUOTE ]
What are you saying, gusmahler? I understand that apparently you mean something more than "rushes exist," but am not getting the mechanism by which this occurs (unless you're saying "I don't know the mechanism either, but there is evidence that shows it happens," which is possible, I guess.)

[/ QUOTE ]

Because you (and others in this thread) are equating bowling to something like foul shooting. In foul shooting, someone like Steve Nash, a 90% free throw shooter, will occassionally miss one or two or even three in a row. Or a 50% free throw shooter like Wilt might go 28 for 32. Those are what you would call rushes or "hot hand".

Bowling is different. Getting strikes is a function of reading the lanes, how they are breaking down, and determining where and how to roll the ball. So for a bowler with a 50% strike ratio, it's MORE likely that he will string strikes together than he will alternate strikes and spares, because he can base his future shots off of his successful shots (assuming a single lane and a professional bowler).