Thread: amount of cash
View Single Post
Old 08-20-2007, 10:40 AM

Default Re: amount of cash

[ QUOTE ]
Sry if this is the wrong forum. I was wondering there is no limit on the amount of cash I can bring through the airport. I live in the US so I dont have to worry about regulations from the border people. I was wondering if they will say anything if I have 40-50 K in my carry on bag. Will they mess with me or say nothing.

Thank You

[/ QUOTE ]

You ask 2 distinctly different questions here. The answer to your first question is that there is no law that limits the amount of cash you can carry within the US. The answer to your second question is that you will likely get some attention if a security guard notices that you are carrying $40-$50K. This money could possibly be seized and confiscated, although it is unlikely. As others have posted, having large amounts of cash alone is not grounds for confiscation, but probable cause can include such things as acting nervously, dogs finding drug residue on some of the $100 bills, telling the officer a story that doesn't completely check out, etc. Bottom line is that yes, you could be in for a major hassle even though there are no laws against carrying that amount of cash. My advice would be to just wire it.

Whatever you do, please do not put $40-$50K in a carry on bag. Carry it on your body.