View Single Post
Old 08-19-2007, 10:04 PM

Default Re: What\'s the closest you\'ve seen to a no-hitter LIVE.

I had a brief summer job at the New York World’s Fair in Flushing Meadows in 1964. Shea Stadium had just opened; the path to the fair passed the ballpark. I would occasionally crash on the apartment couch of a couple of gal pals in nearby Flushing, overlooking Shea. I woke up late June 21st, desperately hung over, turned the Mets/Phillies game on the tube, and cast a bleary eye out the window. Jim Bunning proceeded to toss a perfect game, the first in the National League in 84 years, and his second career no-no. To top it off, a lad from my high school baseball team, Bill Wakefield, pitched an inning in relief for the Mets. And I was too wrecked to drag my sorry tail down to the ballpark to catch the finale. Shame on me...

(I remember the Haddix game, as well. Unbelievable. Years later, the Braves, who had appeared in the two previous World Series, revealed they had stolen every one of catcher Smokey Burgess' signs and they STILL couldn't touch Haddix, who only threw a fastball and a curve. The National League gave Harvey a silver service for his effort, with 12 goblets.)