View Single Post
Old 08-19-2007, 01:20 PM

Default Re: Heads up against \'All-in every hand\' opponents

[ QUOTE ]
One of the things I get a little frustrated with is playing against an opponent who decides when it's heads up his best shot at winning is to go all-in every hand.

Typically my strategy is to wait for a decent hand to bust him. But waiting for an A or K often gives him quite a few chips and even when I call with the better hand, the percentages are fairly equal. It's just frustrating to see the end of a game suddenly turn into a "who hits something" lottery. Thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]
It sounds like you are getting outplayed.

Someone who pushes with every hand heads-up is making a mistake, but not much of one when the smaller stack is at most 20 times the big blind. A much larger mistake is failing to push enough, and failing to call with hands that are good heads-up, but not at a full table. Pushing a lot is a good way to exploit that large mistake.

Wtih some effective stack sizes, the correct strategy might be to push with 80% of your hands, and call pushes with about 65%. You might try dealing out 26 hands face up from a deck of cards, and then choose which 17 you will call with, and which 21 you would push. You will probably have to lower your standards a lot.

When you are down to the final 2, and your opponent is pushing a lot, there is nothing you can do to gain a large advantage. If your opponent isn't pushing a lot, then it is possible that you could gain a large advantage by exploiting his tendency to fold too much. So, you should push a lot.