Thread: Downswings.
View Single Post
Old 08-19-2007, 10:55 AM

Default Downswings.

(I apologise if this is the wrong forum, seemed the most appropriate)

There was a time, where I, like the majority of people frowned upon the idea that you could run bad for extended periods time, ranging weeks and months. Like others I assocciated that with, indeed, having bad luck, but more importantly playing sub par as a consequence.

That was 3 months ago. While I still hold this belief to be true, I changed my view on the length of runs that are based almost purely on bad luck. As it's easy to guess now I've been losing for 3 months. It's been around 85k hands, I'm down over 35 buy-ins (hard to say exactly, as it was different limits). I always try to be honest with myself so I naturally started reviewing my hands in PT. Unfortunately despite my efforts I couldn't find any visible spews. Naturally I make some mistakes, but nothing that would be clearly recurrent. I practise game selection, I consider myself a favourite in the games I play, I would be absolutely shocked if it was otherwise.

The reasons this is irritating is that I haven't heard of any good player having nearly 100k downswings stretches unless he was tilting, playing in bad games. Which would mean that I'm fooling myself by saying that I have been playing good, when in fact I am playing bad. This is the most logical assumption to make. However whenever I play a session nowadays and see the stuff that goes around and review it later on I just feel that I would be kidding myself if I told myself this is my fault.

And whenever you tell complain to somebody about this you can't really expect much. So you're sort of stuck alone with your problem, not really sure if you're doing something wrong or if what's going on is normal. That's poker I guess? I guess it would be a lot easier to cope with if there were some high stakes players that would tell you this is possible.

I just had a 2 week break, came back fresh, but 3 days later it just seems I'm getting spit on by the deck. Yesterday I said "[censored] it" and made the resolution to be playing the absolute best, more motivated and focused than ever, no longer than 2 hours per session. I will try to keep this up for as long as I can.

So are 100k hand downswings possible? Has anyone had something like that and honestly believes it was mostly bad luck?