View Single Post
Old 08-19-2007, 01:06 AM

Default Picking up a new game - Stud or Omaha

Currently, I'm exclusively a NLHE player. I'd like to add a new non-holdem game, because (1) I think adding variety will be fun and (2) I've heard that playing a variety of games helps players improve in all their games. Since most players today start with NLHE, I figure the transition from exclusive NLHE to a broader array of games must be a pretty common experience for poker players.

So, anyone who's decided to take up a non-hold 'em game: what games have you found you liked? Which have good profit potential at B&M?

Specifics about my situation:

-I mostly play in Atlantic City. Occasionally, I go to Foxwoods, and I try to get to Vegas once or twice a year.
-I get in an average of six hours of play per month (more if I take a Vegas trip).
-I am a modestly winning live 1-2 NL player (winrate of $30/hr over an admittedly small sample of 44 hours since I began tracking eight months ago).
-I am an adequate LHE player, but I find NLHE to be more profitable and more fun, so I rarely play LHE and am not particularly interested in playing it more.
-While I'm open to taking up more than one new game eventually, I'd like to do so one at a time so I can focus on getting good at each.

My personal inclination is toward Stud, just based on what I've seen on TV that looked fun. That said, I am eager to hear others' guidance.