Thread: On Ghosting
View Single Post
Old 08-18-2007, 03:12 PM

Default Re: On Ghosting

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Coaching in poker is so totally different than coaching in other sports that it would be akin to someone's bowling coach throwing the ball for them during a tournament.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the opposite of correct. Coaching or giving advise in a tournament is more like the bowling coach saying, "If you throw the ball with more spin, you will hit more strikes" and is equally unlikely to influence the outcome of the game beyond the player's actual skill level.

[/ QUOTE ]

In other sports there are two elements needed to succeed - knowing what to do and having the skills to do it. In poker there is one - knowing what to do. Clicking a mouse takes no skill. Telling someone where they should be placing their bowling ball is not the same as telling someone they should raise $4k in this situation. The player's skill in bowling determines whether they can succeed in that situation. There is no poker skill needed by the student to succeed if Shaniac tells them to raise in this situation.

[/ QUOTE ]

The reason I disagree is because I feel like a lot of the true success at the table comes from being in tune with the rhythm of the game, being able to absorb all the game dynamics and create your own style/opinions based on that. Anyone who's tried coaching a rank amateur in a tournament can tell you that giving them specific instructions on plays during a hand does not easily translate to that person being able to play well.

Getting one-time advise from an expert friend when I am in a tournament has been useful at times for me, and I never thought it was unethical, although I guess it's possible that I am a scumbag, too.

[/ QUOTE ]

While the couching during a tournament may not have a dramatic effect on their poker skills over the long term, it certainly can during the particular tournament and that is completely unfair to the other participants in the tournament.

Whether that makes you a scumbag, well, if the shoe fits. Not that I expect anyone ro really care. But this whole thread has been very disappointing.