View Single Post
Old 08-18-2007, 07:30 AM

Default Re: a noob\'s take on HOW TO DOMINATE $1 and $2 NO LIMIT HOLD\'EM

I'm half through right now and there are some points I don't get. Ok, it's old school and there's nothing wrong with it. But some examples make no sense and ignore important things. The argumention goes like that: If we think we are beat, we fold (even if we have 200 Outs).
The example I hated most was the one with AT of puppyfeet on the Kc Qd Xc or something like that flop. The blind bet out pot sized and you think it's an easy fold cause he has at least paired a king or queen. I don't get how you can give up 50 % Equity just because the blind bet out. If he has any king, any queen, KQ or a set we are even money in this spot.
Of course you have just a draw and it's tough to call another pot sized bet on the turn. But what about raising? He might lay down a weak king or queen but no set or kings up. Even against the three sets and kings up we have about 37 % Equity.
Ok, I have no idea about the stacks which is another flaw in this book. I don't get why you ignore that important factor.

Don't get me wrong, I like the book, I like some elements of the described style but there are some things I don't understand.
Often, the math is way off which is pretty much disturbing and delusive for novice players without a good math understanding.
No matter what you did a great job and the book is definitely worth a read. I don't know if I'll read it again. I skipped to page 223 because I was told that the best part of the book starts here.
By the way, I like the language although I'm not a native speaker.