View Single Post
Old 08-18-2007, 03:54 AM

Default Everyone fears the big stack

This is something that I have noticed, and wonder if other people see the same thing. For simplification, assume the Button is stealing and the Big Blind is short-stack. Also assume the steal puts the short-stack all in.

It seems like, the short-stack is MORE LIKELY to call another short-stack (who is stealing) than a large stack. Despite the fact the short-stack is all-in despite the opponent's stack (so he can not redirect pressure), they more often gamble with other short-stacks than with a big stack.

I was wondering why this is.... and I notice it a lot.

1) People assume the big-stack is a better player (and short-stack a worst player). Therefore, an inexperience player may think the stealer knows his holdings.

2) The short-stack needs the chips more, and therefore is more likely to try to steal with marginal hands.

I honestly think reason 2 plays a large role. The short-stack automatically reasons (usually correctly) that the other player is stealing..... but why they would call with an inferior hand (when you can not play-back) seems very illogical.