View Single Post
Old 08-17-2007, 01:41 PM

Default Re: Will IM ever replace e-mail?

[ QUOTE ]
Seeing someone's visual scrapbook, or hanging around on a site full of them, does nothing for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I'm with you Blarg. Visual scrapbook is a good description. It does nothing for me either. The whole thing seems silly. I might click on someone's myspace page out of sheer curiosity, like Ohhh...so THAT's what Censored looks like. But other than that I can't get into the idea of a public scrapbook.

We can use IM at my work but almost no one chooses to. Most of the people here prefer to use email or just shout over the cubicles [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img].

Sometimes I like talking to people in real time but usually it's very shallow stuff like "what's for lunch?"...or..."HEY!! I'm going crazy."...or..."You around? I have an excel question." Other than that, and sitting around gossiping, I don't see the advantage.

I used messaging a little bit when I first became a mod in the lounge. For some reason I felt this urgency to talk to people like RIGHT NOW. Thank god that urgency passed huh Wookie? (I think he thought I was nuts.)

One thing about IM, you do sort of get a different impression of your coworkers.