View Single Post
Old 08-17-2007, 02:56 AM

Default Re: Best fighting style for real-life situations

[ QUOTE ]

There's no reason to think that anyone practicing martial arts who doesn't do MMA does not practice against resisting opponents, or has not had any fights.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah this is definitely true. Just because someone hasn't appeared on PPV, people think they aren't battle tested. LOL.

My current (and now my only) jeet kune do instructor is under Mark Stewart, who is under Ted Wong. He's very very very good. I sparred with him about six weeks ago. I felt like a lowly human security guard getting worked by Trinity from the matrix. Everytime I tried to kick him, he would deflect my kick with his own kick, and kick ME at the same time. It must have appeared that I was moving in slow motion to him. Partly, this is because he is FAST and has a great structure, but it's also partly do to how much damn fighting he has done. He is able to pick up on my motions, and see me telegraphing my intentions before I launch my attack.

Also, when I would closed in to punch, he would either intercept me with a kick or crash my attack, and get me into a clinch, and knee my in the face. Good times.

He's also a cop. I feel lucky to train with him.