View Single Post
Old 08-16-2007, 11:48 PM

Default Re: Why no backgammon discussion?

[ QUOTE ]
i don't know the point of you posting the diagrams.

[/ QUOTE ]
I made a typo in the first problem. Instead of just correcting that, I figured I would make it easy for people to see the problems.

[ QUOTE ]
well have you analysed the positions with GNU? and what did he say?

[/ QUOTE ]
The answers (based on long rollouts, both mine and Stick's) were in white. Click and drag over white text to reveal it.

Thanks for your thoughts on the problems. Here are some of mine, extending what was in white.

1) Hitting is strong. Stealing 5 pips and half of your opponent's next roll and starting your 5 point are worth more than the "safe" inner board point.

2) When your opponent makes the deuce point, this prepares to attack, and moves away from priming. Splitting steps into the attack, while defending you from a weaker priming threat, so it is anti-thematic. Usually, you should try to prime your opponent after 6-4 is played 8/2 6/2.

3) Although it looks like the bar point is good for a prime, this prepares for an attack more than it prepares to create a prime. Your opponent's 3 spares on the 6 point are hard to use to make points naturally, but they would be good for attacking, and then covering, or for pointing on you. Since your opponent is threatening to attack, not to prime you, and still only has a 1 point board, it is right to slot 13/11 6/5 rather than to split.

4) Running is weak because getting away with it leaves you with a bad position, down in the race and with an outfield blot which takes time to safety. The other plays are less weak.