View Single Post
Old 08-16-2007, 03:56 PM

Default Re: Can an -cEV move ever be +$EV?

[ QUOTE ]
If we assume everybody is eqal in skill and you have to make a call or a push thats a little bit -cEV can this ever be +$EV?

The scenario im thinking of are if your fold will put you in a situation were you have even less equity in the tournament then if you would make the move.(obv)

The most extreme example of this would be if you are UTG with a stack of only ONE BB and you would know that there are tiny -cEV to make the call, but if you fold you would be in an even worse spot by having to take the BB which would be even more -cEV.

[/ QUOTE ]

All of the posts in this thread seem to concentrate on a hand by hand analysis. Between players who are familiar with each other's games, a poker hand can have much history to it, such that a -EV play in the past can set up +EV situations in the future.

For example, I ran a squeeze out of the blinds with 10-3 offsuit once, hoping for folds, and got called in several spots. I won the pot. A player at the table but not in the hand remembers the hand to this day, and has called me down light several times because of it.

Recently, I stacked him with AQ v KQ on a Q high flop. After making the call, he mumbled something about the 10-3 hand which happened months ago.