View Single Post
Old 08-15-2007, 08:38 PM

Default Re: I have no social skills, am incredibly boring, and want to end it

[ QUOTE ]

So all this is a roundabout way of saying that for those suggesting OP ask more open ended questions/follow local sports teams/take a trip to europe etc., if his issues with social anxiety are anything like mine it's likely that these tips treat the symptoms and not the cause. To the extent that I understand my problem, it most certainly stems from something internal. It's always good to have things to talk about, but when I come to a conversation with prearranged conversation topics, or a 'strategy' or whatever I invariably feel like I'm running around in circles. It's when I feel confident and engaged in a conversation that it's always more fruitful, and working out how to flip the switch in my mind to make social situations more comfortable is the key.

Anyway, just my perspective on things.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is an incredibly insightful post.

I find that there when I'm uncomfortable or just don't feel like being out that it doesn't matter how many stories I have, or how well I know the person, I'm just not that talkative.

On the other hand, if I'm feeling good about myself, I can [censored] with random strangers for hours about nothing.

Good post.