View Single Post
Old 08-15-2007, 05:59 PM

Default Re: Professional No-Limit Hold \'em Volume 1 Review Thread

Last night in a live 2/5 game I was applying the SPR concepts and found them really beneficial. For example, one hand I coudn't reach a target SPR with JJ UTG+1 so I limped and then had a really good 3 bet situation that turned out great. In the past I would have played a multiway pot with JJ with a bad SPR OOP, not fun. There were standard examples where I used it to to get low SPR with TPTK type hands also.

I am having trouble with one hand in particular, deciding if I made a bad fold based off SPR or perhaps this was a situation that SPR doesnt apply. I say this because in the book and previous posts it was highlighted that in order for SPR concepts to apply, our hand must be ahead of villian's range. I doubted my hand to be but position and a dead $5 post influenced me to call preflop. I would really appreciate feedback.

This is the hand:
I missed my blind (bathroom) and posted 5 on the cutoff to get back in. EP raiser makes it 20, I have KJo, and decided with the discount and position I would call, but I dont think I had +EV against his range without adding stealing/position. SB and BB call. Pot 80. I cover all players. Flop is Jc3d4d. SB and BB check and dont look interested (no c/r likely) and villian leads for 90 and only has another 80 behind. Well, stealing is not an option now, and he seems comfortable and confident and I beleive from history that if he was c-betting a missed flop he would have led for 1/2 to 2/3 pot. I beleived that he wasnt bluffing and thought I would see AJ or QQ+ too often here. My SPR was only approx 2. And I still made a very tight fold to a flop bet. I felt I had a strong read that he wasnt bluffing. That being said, am I forced to call mathwise? Or does the SPR not matter becasue I was never ahead of his range? is this just a fold that I cannot make profitably even with a good read? He said he had 99 which I believe because I suspect after SB and BB checked he thought his 99 was good with only me left to act. This is a situation where I read strength (he's not bluffing), but assign to much strength to the opponents hand.