View Single Post
Old 08-15-2007, 11:55 AM

Default Re: Air travel security is retarded - why?

[ QUOTE ]
In closing, try and remember the big picture and the little picture as you get pissed off ye again at the delays.

[/ QUOTE ]

Looking at the big picture, I think you have to ask what exactly are the statistical chances of being injured/killed in a plane-and-terrorist-related incident? I have no numbers, but I'm fairly certain that the chances of this (even using pre 9/11-security measures) are about the same, or less, as getting injured/killed from being struck by lightning.

So how does this justify the enormous amount of money and time spent on the new security measures? Why aren't the same kind of time and money being invested into stopping drunk driving for instance? It's an issue that, looking at the big picture, costs a lot more suffering and money than terrorism and there are measures that can be implemented into cars that would help reduce the issue greatly, but still this is not an issue because of the money and inconvenience it would cost.

Planes crashing into buildings or being blown up is certainly terrifying and 'spectacular' but is it really a big problem in the big picture?

I'm obviously not saying we shouldn't bother with security because so few will be affected anyway, but there's a huge industry making big money from implementing these security measures in addition to governments needing to look like they're dealing effectivly with terrorism. Airlines and passengers are caught in between these and forced to accept whatever new remedy someone comes up with whenever someone presents a new 'a terrorist might do this'-scenario.