Thread: Fasting
View Single Post
Old 08-15-2007, 08:45 AM

Default Re: Fasting

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Coach's job is to make sure he has someone to compete in each weight class, that is likely what the coach was thinking.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't want to derail the thread, but this is completely [censored] wrong.

In High School a coach's main job is not to win meets.

[/ QUOTE ]

Didn't say it was his 'main' job...but it is most definitely part of the job.

People trying out for the wrestling team were weighed and then given a choice as to which weight class they could be in. If there were two or more going for one weight class, they could compete for it (unless the coach went with seniority); winner gets the start and the the other guy is a backup. If there was an open class, then somebody could either gain or lose weight to be in that weight class.

I never heard of anyone being forced to lose weight to be in a weight class, it was always pretty much voluntary on the part of the wrestler; though some coaches would try to encourage their athletes to drop weight to be in a class so that the team could be more competitive overall (these were very competitive teams). I never heard of any wrestler 'fasting' (i.e. not eating anything at all for days). They went on strict diets, but would still eat. And I never saw any of them 'ruined'...they were always in phenominal shape.