View Single Post
Old 08-14-2007, 11:42 PM

Default Re: Living and Playing in Vegas

[ QUOTE ]
What can I say?

You have been a member of this forum for 2 years now (almost) and still have the impression that you would do better in a higher stakes game where your raises and bets are "respected". This is flawed thinking and the source of income for many, many players. I suggest you read more of the strategy forums and pick up Theory of Poker (for sure, this is an absolute MUST, no if ands or buts).

I suggest you don't try and defend this incorrect concept out of some notion that I am just being argumentative in an online forum (I am not, what you are saying is wrong and that is fact). I also don't want to derail OP's thread any longer - I was just surprised by what you said and that surprise was compounded when I saw your reg date.

GL at the tables.

Edited to add: The above sounded a bit harsh upon second reading, but I don't want to change it. Instead, feel free to PM me and I can explain this concept a bit further if you'd like.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I'm not trying to defend anything here, as just because I've been a member of the forum, it doesn't mean I was an active one until very recently.

It's only recently that I've been looking at poker at more than something more than entertainment (where it didn't matter if I blew my money away, just as long as I had fun doing it). Hence why I've been participating a lot more in the past few months here, than I had in all the two years prior.

I'm really not interested in playing low limit poker, it just isn't something I like to do, especially since it's such a long trip to do so each time.

Unfortunutly for me, I'm in the telecom sector, and I finally had to come to terms that there were no jobs in that sector in the Cincinnati area (this after 3 years of layoffs from 3 different jobs, from companies that went out of business in the area).

I had family in the Denver area, hence how I landed here. Doesn't mean I like here (I don't), or that I like the poker here (I don't like that either).

Thus, if I got the chance to move to Vegas, Memphis, Louisville, or even Omaha, I'd take it.

As for higher stake games where my raises (or anyone's raises for that matter) are respected, I've got experience with that, and yes, they are, because if it's going to cost the player more money than a measley 5 bucks to call a raise, they are going to think twice before they play the hand.

[ QUOTE ]
I just don't understand why someone would want their opponents to play better, that's all. The whole point of playing poker is to find the worst players and exploit them, unless you're on some sort of ego trip and try to play HU vs. Phil Ivey just to prove you're better than him.

[/ QUOTE ]

For me, I don't want them to play really well, but well enough (or rather at levels high enough) that it's not bingo poker either.