View Single Post
Old 08-14-2007, 04:15 PM

Default Re: 50NL AQ on a suited board

[ QUOTE ]
should hero have raised more on the flop? to something like 11 instead of 8?

[/ QUOTE ]

We are in a pretty sticky spot when we only raised to $8 I think are in an even stickier spot if we had raised to $11 and got called in both spots.

If we raise to $11 I think that Villian's are more likely to smooth call with a made flush than they would be with the slightly smaller raise. So all in all against standard villian's I think the smaller raise is more likely to give us useable information.

Our raise on the flop serves 2 purposes, we are trying to gain information about our opponents hand as well as tax flush draws. We have represented a big hand preflop so I see no reason not to follow it up on the turn. We could easily have AK with a spade or KK with a spade if our opponent only holds the naked A. They have to be somewhat mindful that we have a better hand or a redraw unless they hold the made nut flush, and even then we could have a set drawing to fill up.

Also if we call the flop bet, we will likely be forced to call a bet on the turn which is likely to be much larger than the $8 we raised on the flop. Our raise may also fold out smaller flush draws (which is not a terrible thing)