View Single Post
Old 08-14-2007, 01:24 PM

Default Re: Workplace Gripes – Vent Here! ! (or just share workplace stories)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I have been to 100 office cake-oriented functions with the same people each time, and I have no clue who does or does not take cake. Nor do I know anyone that would be able to list the cake-takers versus the non-cake-takers.

Except for my old officemate. Him, he notices these things. You'd be his enemy forever.

[/ QUOTE ]

You make a good point. I guess I'm being too self conscious. I realize that no one cares once we leave the room. It's just at the very moment when people are cuttiing the cake and people are passing the slices down the line, and I say "No thanks, none for me." This is usually followed by "WHAT? WHO DOESN'T WANT CAKE? WHY IS KATY NOT EATING CAKE? WHAT'S GOING ON?" And I sort of hate it when all eyes turn to me. It's pretty stupid, I know, but you have to understand that I work with some very obnoxious people.

And it's not like I don't like cake either. I admit I'm just a culinary snob. I do not like store bought cakes which list 200 ingredients on the side of the box. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I have my on-and-off battles with my weight, and I find it amazing that when you tell people you are on a diet, the most common reaction is to try to get you to cheat. "Aw, come on, one piece of cake won't kill ya." etc. Some people go on and on.

I am always polite and just repeatedly decline until they finally let it go, but I've crafted a little response that I may just have to use someday on a particularly obnoxious cake-pusher:

"Okay, that's the fourth time you've tried to cajole me into eating cake. I AM ON A DIET. I don't smoke or drink; fattening foods are my addiction. If I told you I was an alcoholic, would you pester me to get me to have one drink? If I were trying to quit smoking, would you insist I have just one cigarette? I AM TRYING NOT TO EAT FATTENING FOODS. Now I've politely declined your obnoxious pestering three times. Listen carefully: I DO NOT WANT ANY CAKE. LEAVE ME ALONE, YOU OBNOXIOUS JERK."

I can always dream.