View Single Post
Old 08-14-2007, 12:10 PM

Default Re: The Great Culture Debate: Christopher Hitchens vs. David Allen Whi

[ QUOTE ]
I completely agree that the biological understanding of brain function has been tremendous, but it has added nothing relevant to our understanding of the epistemological process which has been in place for over 700 years. The same goes for the study of Logic.

[/ QUOTE ]

These statements do nothing other than show you have no idea what you are talking about. Cognitive science has made leaps and bounds in the last 700 years and I don't care to write a book here to catch you up. The problem is rather that if you and I were at some point in the future and were looking inside a human brain with infinite resolution and I pointed to a particular system - no matter how profoundly complex and beautiful its operation is - you would unambiguously disagree that it could represent consciousness. This is because you on a fundamental and philosophical level believe that consciousness is a noncorporeal trait that manifests itself metaphysically.

But if you want to vest your soul and humanity in metaphysics, I can't stop you.