View Single Post
Old 08-14-2007, 07:08 AM

Default Re: getting discouraged

I've been feeling a bit the same lately.
When everything seems to be going wrong, your confidence takes a big hit. Confidence is a seriously underated part of the game. Low confidence means you start second guessing yourself, and not making the right aggressive moves like you normally would.

I had about an 8-10 buyin downswing over only a few thousand hands, and just when I was picking it up, I lose a 400BB pot and 250BB stack to the superfish getting the money in as a 70% favourite. Another guy calls off 150 with a pure gutshot against my flush draw + wrap, hits a 2 outer and all of a sudden, I'm back at the bottom of my downswing again.

Anyway, I did what you did, checked PTO, twodimes, and confirmed that I was getting my money in good and getting coolered a lot of the time. I also found a couple of spots where I could definitely improve, as well. And you know, as long as you're getting your money in good, the numbers tell us that EVENTUALLY it will even out and right itself.

Slugging it out till then can suck, and if you're low on confidence you might not even be playing the winning style you used to. If you need to set a few arbitrary goals that you can achieve to get your confidence back (like "I'll stop playing when I'm up 1 buyin" or something like that), just so you can get that feeling back. Otherwise take a break for a week or so and come back fresh.

Good luck and keep at it.