View Single Post
Old 08-13-2007, 02:59 PM

Default Re: Please tell me about these 3 majors

It depends on what you want to do. In national polls, liberal arts degrees (like mine) consistently earn less upon graduation than science/engineering/computer degrees. However, if you have a plan for after college--like going to law school--all three will work well, and learning Spanish is recommended.

If you look at current job market trends, you'll see that people switch jobs now up to ten times during their career. So eventually you'll begin to define yourself more in terms of your work experience and less in terms of your degree.

But unless you want to go into business or engineering, what you do in college will likely be as important as the degree. Ex. Did you intern anywhere? Did you meet with career counselors to plan things out? Did you set up a networking system that you can tap after graduation to land a job? Did you keep grades up so you can get into grad school? Did you do anything during the summer that will help with career prospects or did you play poker all summer? =)

If you are truly lost about what you want to major in, I recommend the one that interests you the most. Much better to get a degree in English because you like poetry than to fail out of a business major because accounting is boring.

Just my two cents. Take it FWIW.

PS. If you major in English or communications, take a bunch of writing & rhetoric classes. Whatever field you are in at the moment, *writing is a skill in demand.*