View Single Post
Old 08-12-2007, 11:27 PM

Default New, Improved Phil Laak nicknames

The more I think about this, the more I realize that the settlement leans towards an apology and little if any money exchanged. Why?

There's far from sufficient evidence to nail Laak on anything, whether it be NYC's ancient history, or his activities in Thailand. Affidavits don't cut it, Laak would never need to set foot in Thailand, and by US standards these affidavits are coming from people who are too close to Tom.

Tom said that money wasn't the issue, and there's the problem of actually getting paid without being accused of extortion. Phil's concern is embarrassment, not incarceration. Poker history would place this story in the minor leagues so Phil's reputation would not suffer much and might even be enhanced (cf. Paris Hilton's incarceration buzz) though not in the eyes of UIGEA supporters. Phil's ability to earn from the poker tables is virtually untouched; I'd guess we'd all find ZJ, Gold's antics, more offensive from a purely sporting view.

Blackmail is not really what's happening if the demands are to correct a previous wrong committed. I'd also like a lawyer to comment on this, but I'm certain no action and no convictions will ensue.

Removal of this thread doesn't actually help Phil, letting the story die a slow death habituates us to any rumors floating around. Phil would like that.

At best I'd suspect Phil made a serious apology and MAYBE some vague commitment to future considerations, maybe even donations to selected charities (MS, War Amps, Paralympics) which he doesn't really have to deliver on--Grant's shot his last load.

To help Phil in this regard, I've provided some suggestions to replace his "Unabomber" nickname. Hmm, I don't seem to have the options to submit a poll, so here goes (someone else put it up). I suggest we allow 2-3 choices to the voter, and we are free to (mis)pronounce Laak -- 'Lock'* or 'Laaaak':

Phil 'safe-jack' Laak
Phil 'safe-crack' Laak
Phil 'hi-jack' Laak
Phil 'safe-walk' Laak*('Lock' is the correct pronunciation?)
Phil 'Unabomber' Laak
Phil 'Tunawhacker' Laak
Phil 'Two-No-Whacker' Laak
Phil 'the Whack' Laak
Phil 'Whack' Laak
Phil 'KidCrasher' Laak
Phil 'LimbWhacker' Laak
Phil 'the Artifact' Laak
Phil 'the Smack' Laak
Phil 'the Smack Whack' Laak
Phil 'the Smack Whacker' Laak
Phil 'Tilly Whacker' Laak
Phil 'Tilly Snacker' Laak
Phil 'Big Pussy' Laak (or any Sopranos/Mafia name)
Phil 'photo for half' Laak
Phil 'heavens to Mergatroid, exit, stage left' Laak
Phil 'knack for knock' Laak
Phil 'knack for whack' Laak
Phil 'payoff' Laak
Phil 'where's the exit?' Laak
Phil 'hitman' Laak (but he's not a hitman)
Phil 'Jesus' Laak
Phil 'Dolly' Laak
Phil 'the Master' Laak
Phil 'the Magician' Laak
Phil 'the Magician's assistant' Laak
Phil 'Brazil' Laak
Phil 'no legs' Laak
Bunny