View Single Post
Old 08-12-2007, 12:07 PM

Default Re: Professional No-Limit Hold \'em Volume 1 Review Thread

Fisished! Great book indeed. I'm really looking forward to more detailed plays, applications and consequences of the use of SPR.

What I think is missing a bit (it's not, but not very emphasized enough IMO) is that it is very important to state you have to be ahead of villains calling range whenever you choose to make a big raise to get to your target SPR. Max SPR is a very important number and I'd like to see more how it is properly estimated against different opponents. Im my experience often my max SPR is smaller than my target SPR and it is best to fold or try to steal instead of planning to get allin.

Also you have to be ahead of your opponents calling range when crossing the commitment treshold. Otherwise we could just put half our stack in with 42o and make a proper allin bet on the flop. This is a silly example, but the same logic applies when playing a marginal TP hand against a tight opponent.

In a lot of cases in online play against weaktight players this is also true for the TPTK hands IMO. There's no sense in playing TPTK hands more quickly preflop to loose it al to a set in an easy way through commitment instead of losing it after a tough decision when you were around SPR 13. It's both wrong, you lose the same. The lesson should be that you get it in while you have the best of it. If that's before your opponent had his set, than you are correct, but you have to know you are ahead of your opponent when getting it in.

I think SPR is very helpfull against your standard TAG and loose players though. I have always been aware that I could get myself in an awkwars situation with too much behind, but the rules of thumb will keep me out of a lot of trouble in the future, thanks!