View Single Post
Old 08-12-2007, 10:50 AM

Default Re: Ask Noah About First Year of Law School, Getting inTop 10%, Law Re

[ QUOTE ]
Yo Noah, this is a noob question (I start 1L on 8/13 and am doing my HW now), but where can I find the case summaries which corespond w/ the casebooks? I discern that they're called textbooks, are they written by the casebook authors? published by the same company? I assume so, but I didn't see any textbooks at the bookstore where I got my required books. Any advice on where to find the summaries is much appreciated.

I've searched Barristers and a couple of other sites, but I can't find anything other than the generic hornbook, nutshells, etc. Are the textbooks generally found in law school libraries? I'm totally in the dark here. Please help!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Example:

Property by Dukeminier

Casenots Legal Briefs keyed to Dukeminier Property

High Court Case Summaries Keyed to Dukeminier Property

Emmanuel's Property- Dukeminier Edition

There are two types of secondary sources as well as various hybrids. The first is case summary and analysis called canned briefs, case briefs, summaries, etc. You should always get one "keyed" to the specific author and edition of your text, so that the cases in the brief book will go in the order the cases come in your textbook. I liked High Court Case Summaries.

Then there are things called hornbooks, which include references to cases, but are more an overall summary and analysis of the course. You can get these keyed to specific editions as well, often written by the same professor, and that helps, because the order and focus will be the same. Sometimes though, there are non-keyed ones that are just better. Have to do some googling research.

Then there are things like Examples and Explanations. Very good for test prep IMO. They teach you the stuff then give you questions and answers to test your newfound knowledge.

Any more questions, feel free to post.