View Single Post
Old 08-12-2007, 12:51 AM

Default Re: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows discussion thread (SPOILERS)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Why was it so important that Voldemort be the one to kill harry? Why couldnt, for example, DD kill harry one time to kill the horcrux part of him?

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe DD's theory was that if Voldemort killed Harry, he would just kill his part of the soul, and the Blood that they shared would protect (resurrect?) Harry, like it did in the forest. If someone else killed him, I don't think that he'd come back.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't believe this is it. DD was surprised when Harry survived. And when he's telling Snape the entire plan, he certainly doesn't suggest that Harry will survive.

Anyway, aside from the obvious dramatic problems of having a "good guy" like DD kill Harry, you can rationalize it away on the idea that DD would have put off having Harry die as long as possible, just in case he figured out some alternative or simply to grant Harry as long a life as he could have. Or maybe DD thought Harry was a necessary tool for resisting Vold and getting the other horcruxes.

[/ QUOTE ]

In the King's cross chapter, they're talking about how Voldy's blood is in him, so Lily's sacrifice lives on. And Harry says "And you knew this? You knew this all along?" and DD responds, "I guessed. But my guesses are usually good."

I think it's just that Harry couldn't know that he was going to live, because he had to sacrifice himself, but DD had a pretty good idea he wasn't sending Harry to his (permanent?) death.