View Single Post
Old 08-11-2007, 07:53 PM

Default Re: Spots we rarely think about

ok look here's the gist of why im considering folding it pre.

in any reasonable HU match, if we open 22, if opponent has any reasonable hand to make top pair with (qj+ ish) he's gonna 3bet. you can't really profitably call the 3bets (this assumption may be wrong, im a 6max player).

so if we open 22 and get called, he has random middle cards, or crappy kickers against broadway, whatever - but ALL of them will pair higher than us. we will not play a big pot if we hit our set. about the only big pots we will ever play is when he hits top two or top and bottom when we have a set.

otherwise, we are going to be in lots of small pots where we have no idea if we should bet or check, no idea if he has paired or is drawing, no idea about anything, other than we're gonna have to bloat the pot to get him off of middle or bottom pair, which is typically a bad idea.

on the plus side, if he's tight, its a steal hand. ... thats all i've got for plusses.

edit: at least if you are stealing against a tight player with t6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img][img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], you make a pair 1/3 the time, and when you bet and get called you stand a chance to improve and or have been called by a worse pair. this is never the case with 22. i think my argument is becoming similar to why limit players fold 44- pre