View Single Post
Old 08-11-2007, 10:36 AM

Default Re: I fold top pair on turn

1 You have been 3 bet pre flop. Not a good sign, and then the BB comes along for the ride. Pre flop you're way behind.
2 you have 1 overcard and the bdstr8 draw. on the flop, peel and see fair enough.
3 The Q hits! And then there's a bet and a raise!

This could mean a number of things but being an optomist you're hand is best a reasonable ammount of the time. They both seem fairly solid agressive players from their stats and you ask how you would play say A9 or jj, if you were them, you would raise to protect your hand. I would protect my hand from the fourth spade with a raise with either of the above two hands and maybe a pocket pair below the board. I also play hands like AJ and AK very agressively if I think my opponent is trying to push me about with a worse ace, especially if I had the As or Ks(I mean the turn raising guy).
What I'm getting at is that the raising guy has worse hand than you a lot of the time. (as does the sb)

Now to raise or call. If we are saying our hand is best a reasonable ammount of the time lets get agressive and 3 bet(just calling gives the guy drawing to the 4th spade a birthday present).

Of course the heavy betting and the solid opponents mean that your'e beat more often than not but the pot is worth fighting for.

When at showdown you get shown AQ or the flush you look stupid, when they show you a9 or jj or some other hand you crush get ready to be happy!

I am showing these hands down more and more vs agressive opponents as I think how would I play the hand with their range. If I can think of hands in their range that I beat than make them pay!

Of course folding the flop is the low variance approach, three betting the turn and trying to get a cheap showdown is the high reward high variance alternative!

PS for those of you critisising OINK's peel it would seem he is the best player here from his posts.