View Single Post
Old 08-09-2007, 09:53 PM

Default Re: Useful legal analogy re Internet versus other \"legal\" gambling

As others have pointed out, it has nothing to do with free speech and everything to do with money laundering.

I would agree with the government's current contention that online gambling makes laundering money easier than B&M gambling -- especially poker. I mean, come on, there's no better or faster way I know of to pay someone a big chunk of money than in a HUNL game. It only costs $3 per $10,000.

The problem with the government's argument is that it is circular:

1. Online gaming isn't regulated.
2. Because online gaming isn't monitored by the government, it is more likely to be used for money laundering (duh...).
3. Ergo, unregulated online gaming should be illegal.

It's a Catch 22. If online gaming was regulated (and taxed, of course, to pay for its regulation), then the government could insist on controls and measures to be implemented that fight money laundering and various other forms of financial fraud.

With the debt this country is racking up, it's no doubt Congress is looking at the financial boon that awaits a legalized online gaming industry in the United States. But they have to wrestle with phooey like "morality" first.

Why they think this is their responsibility, I have no idea...

Legalize. Regulate. Tax. Monitor. Control. Just leave the issues of "morality" and "cultural welfare" out of it.