View Single Post
Old 08-09-2007, 07:24 PM

Default Re: Do you have the right stuff?

I haven`t read the book but I`ll chip in.

This is my list of things needed in order to be a consistent winning poker player, in order of importance... at least in my case:

1. Tilt control
2. Bankroll management
3. Poker skills
4. Game selection
5. Quiting strategy

As you see I value self-control and discipline the most, much more then poker skills.
After a long time of wrestling with discipline issues I felt like I finally made some progress so I decided to test myself and I advise anyone to try the same or something similar.

The test was simple. I decided to quit smoking cold turkey after 20+ years of smoking like a locomotive.( around 2 packs a day for a year before I quit )
I also decided to make it as challenging as possible so I did not throw away my last pack and I didn`t wait for new-years-eve to make the pledge or some silly thing like that either, I had 5-6 cigarettes left in my last pack and I kept it at a table in my living room with a lighter close by.
I passed the test, never smoked since and never felt better.
I also felt like I was finally mature enough to handle some bad beats the right way.

As for my quiting a session strategy, it`s very basic:
- Play on when you play your A-game, quit the session when you don`t.
Very simple in theory but good luck in applying it to every single poker session. [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]