View Single Post
Old 08-09-2007, 04:13 PM

Default Re: Thinking about money stops me moving up?

Everyone has a psychological bankroll that may be very different from their actual bankroll. When you play above your psychological bankroll, you start making slight adjustments to your play (you might not even realize it while you're doing it) out of fear of losing a large amount.

This is why all the "rules of thumb" about bankroll sizes for different limits don't fit everyone. I have a good job and can easily reload if I go busto. There's nothing to stop me from playing much higher limits than I do now. But I am not comfortable risking that much of the money I work hard all week to earn, and it would likely effect my play negatively.

Also (and this is not a trivial point) - as you move up in limits the players get much better and much more aggressive. This increases your variance even more, making it that much tougher if you're playing above your psychological bankroll.

Bottom line you need to be honest w/ yourself about how much real world $$ you are comfortable losing during a single session or a prolonged downswing, and adjust your limits accordingly. There is no law that you have to move up when your bankroll hits a certain amount. The goal is to make as much money as possible - sometimes staying at a lower limit accomplishes that goal more than moving up would.