View Single Post
Old 08-09-2007, 06:54 AM

Default Re: the correlation between language, thoughts and intelligence

[ QUOTE ]
There are many artful words of other languages that I have heard that mean something you cannot really express that well in english. This means to me that english is sort of a simple language. As well, different structures of languages really make a difference I believe in how people think. I mean, I can only have cognitive thoughts in my own language. It's like, my brain speaks English, and not other languages. So other people who think in a language with different structures are thinking in a different way at the base of thought than me.

[/ QUOTE ]
There're also English words that describe concepts that some other languages don't. They're generally technical concepts, but that doesn't really lessen the language.

I know a few bi/trilinguals, and they tell me that they think in the language they were most recently talking in. I once spent so long learning French that I was using random French words in my thinking.

What I find interesting is whether people act the same if they speak one language vs. another? You presumably use different pathways in your brain to access the different knowledge, does that affect anything else?