View Single Post
Old 08-09-2007, 06:35 AM

Default Re: Unorthodox Sports Team Management

The baseball strategy is ridiculous. I think every pitcher would end up totally burnt-out and exhausted by the end of the year. Plus, you could have more games where you simply run out of position players. And if you get into extra-innings you're also kind of screwed pitching-wise.

The basketball one is kind of similar to Loyola Marymount and other similar fast-paced teams. No biggie.
The Memphis Grizzlies were almost starting to do this a little bit after they fired Fratello and were mired in last-place. Practically nobody gave a crap though. And if they did it even more and ran up their losses more frequently to 130-110 STILL nobody would care because they're losing.
Kind of like how much everyone was laughing at Denver when they were playing non-stop no-defense and letting teams score at will on them.

The football example strikes me as odd.
If you're a 6-10 team then that means you're not THAT far away...just a break here or there perhaps...from getting it together and being an 8-8 team.
The entertainment value of going for it on 4th and 4 from your own 35 and always running crazy fake extra-points, etc is not worth it.
The fans will hate you and call for your head every time you fail. They won't fall in love with you for being different and crazy. They'll be ashamed to have the most embarassing coach in the league.

Costing you 'only' 2 games when you're already a 6-10 team simply isn't worth it because hard-work and a slight readjustment combined with a little luck can actually get you somewhere.

I am reminded of my favorite team, the Bengals. Bad cellar-dwellers for several years but under a new head-coach and QB Jon Kitna's leadership they got it together and finished 8-8 one year and were an exciting team.
Now under Carson Palmer they have mostly been doing even better. They are no longer considered the suckiest of the suck.

IMO, to throw in the towel in the way being suggested I would only be comfortable doing that if I was pretty sure my team was going to be 2-14 at best or something.
Even then I'm not that thrilled with the idea but it's better than taking some 6-10 team with potential and completely trashing the season just for some entertainment value that is not likely to sell many more tickets and is more likely to get my whole fan-base angry at me.