View Single Post
Old 08-08-2007, 06:58 PM

Default Re: Why does having the initiative matter?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
it doesn't, really. the only reason why it *seems* to is because people tend to raise or reraise the strongest hands they can possibly have in their range (almost 100% of the time), so when they call (and "cede" the initiative) the probability of them having those hands is reduced significantly. in the scenario you outlined the tag player does not have any strong pairs or aces because he 3bets them almost 100% of the time. the lag player, however, still has all of those hands in his range. it makes a big diff when calculating equity vs. a range.

[/ QUOTE ]

winnar.

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed. my problem is that clearly to utilise this you have to 3bet pf when players view you as only 3betting with your good range, and when they start realising you are not to then swing back again. my problem lies in that i used to 8 table autopilot 2-4nl and never had to consider this. i'm now thinking of having to drop down to 2, 3 or 4 tabling to focus on this. the problem though is whether anyone will actually notice this, or just look at my pokerhud stats.