View Single Post
Old 08-08-2007, 03:41 PM

Default Re: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows discussion thread (SPOILERS)

Just caught up and wanted to add some thoughts...

For the first time in the series I was happy with what happened in the book but a little disappointed in the book itself. I didn't think it was as well written as its predecessors; the timing of the writing felt unrefined and goofy in parts, like the editor should've taken a couple more read-throughs. Occasionally in the first half of a paragraph we'd be reading about something mundane and then mid-paragraph something totally out of the blue would happen. Out of the blue things are bound to happen, but they should get their own paragraph. That's pretty much the definition of paragraph. I found myself stopping and going "Wait, what? WTF?" and then having to reread a few paragraphs not because the event was so unexpected but because of the timing of the writing, if that makes sense. Like if you asked me for my phone number and I gave you the first two numbers and then the last five in a rush. Did anyone else experience that?

I pretty much intentionally overlook holes in the plot. I had thought of some of the ones described in this thread but refused to let them bother me. A couple things really did bother me though. For instance I don't care what kind of mood he was in, I couldn't believe that Harry was stupid enough to use Voldy's name out loud after Ron's warning. That was insanely idiotic, and I really didn't think it was believable that Harry would do that.

I thought it was kind of cool that the act of saving Draco ended up saving his life. I suppose Harry could've let him die and then just lied to Narcissa, but I thought JKR may be trying to making a point here.

I wish JKR had broken a mold and made the epilogue three chapters long. I think it takes more than a few pages to get closure on seven full novels. At the very least we should've gotten closure on the deaths in the Hogwarts battle. It would've been as easy as setting the scene with the same characters in the same time at a war memorial or the graveyard where Harry's parents are laid to rest. Last couple of lines could've been "The scar hadn't hurt in 19 years" so JKR made clear that Voldy was long gone and then "Let's get going, kids, your first day at Hogwarts is tomorrow."

Overall, though, I'll remember it as a great book because of the contents. Some of the scenes were really moving: Hermione's torture, Mrs. Weasley defending Ginny against Bellatrix, and of course Harry's march to doom spring to mind. Should be one helluva movie, too.

EDIT: Something I forgot to add. During the battle between Harry and Snape at the end of HBP Snape says something like "Your spells will never get through until you've learned to close your mouth and your mind." I really thought at that point that a big chunk of DH would be dedicated to Harry learning to do just that and become a badass dueler. Kind of disappointed.