View Single Post
Old 08-08-2007, 02:47 PM

Default Re: I suck at putting...please help

My no frills drill for improving your putting.

Note: This is kinda a Pelzish approach but I was doing it before I ever heard of him. He's a stealing bastard.

Find a hole on the practice green where there is some slope but not a lot. Just a gentle slope.

Get two balls and place them at the 6:00 position to the hole where the 6:00 position equals a straight uphill putt.

Place the balls at a distance that makes you nervous. If that's 2 feet then 2 feet, if 3 feet then 3 feet.

Putt the two balls into the hole. You should concentrate on two things when you do this; 1. Making a smooth putting stroke, 2. Hitting the ball in the center of the putter head.

Now move to the 3:00 position and do the same thing. Then the 12:00 and 9:00 in that order. Repeat around in a circle twice. Doing this you'll have an uphill, left to right, right to left and downhill putts.

Now go the the 4:30 position and do the same thing. Go to 1:30, 10:30 and 7:30. Repeat twice. That should be a total of 32 putts.

Now double the distance (4-6ft most likely) and do the same thing again. That's 32 more putts for a total of 64. Concentrate on making a good putting stroke and making every putt.

Do this anytime you can and you'll become a better putter.

Final note: People who are good putters believe that they are good putters. This will help you to believe that you are a good putter. Putting is at least 50% mental, for some it's 90%.