View Single Post
Old 08-08-2007, 04:11 AM

Default Re: Call this down? San Jose 20/40

I'm surprised at the people who don't like preflop. I raise this preflop every time in this situation. One, you've almost certainly got an equity advantage over the field in a game that has 4 limpers to you. (Also, it's the Garden City 20/40, meaning just about everyone is terrible) Two, you can buy the button. Three, you've got a good player in the BB - give him a shot to fold. Four, if you can't raise QJs here, what can you raise? I think it's terrible for you if opponents can narrow your range in situations like this to only huge pairs and big aces. I raise a much larger range here which I think works well for me personally, but QJs should be automatic for just about anyone.

Caveat: I don't know Hank, at least not by name. I would not ever fold the turn. I've been known to 3-bet for free showdown on occasion, but I don't like to do that in situations like this without a good read on the guy. Call the turn. I'd probably overcall the river as well if it's one bet to me. I think you're beat often here, but if Hank's any good he can also show up here with worse hands than yours because he wants to clean up outs in a big pot. How about QT/Q9? Q5s/Q6s? 86s/85s? If nothing else, you've got all sorts of tainted outs that might be good.