View Single Post
Old 08-08-2007, 02:19 AM

Default Re: Manhattan real estate

[ QUOTE ]
Ugh. That sucks. Makes me want to stay in Chciago soooo much more.

What would be the cheapest I could reasonably get (with roommates) in a safe area that wouldn't be a stupid commute and be near other people my age and have some space?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the Upper East Side below 90th is your best bet. (Above 90 everything gradually starts getting a little ghetto, not necessarily unsafe, but just not as nice and you'll have a longer commute). I currently live on the UES and will be working in the financial district as well. The commute is a bit on the long side, but bearable and I really like the neighborhood. Tons of young people live in the area and there are lots of nice restaurants and expensive buildings that make the neighborhood look nice. With roommates you could probably get a decent 2BR or 3BR for 1400-1500 per person, but probably not in a doorman building (though I think that is totally unnecessary for someone out of college). You can definitely also find something more towards 1200 or 1300, but you'd have to start sacrificing space, niceness, or proximity to the subway.

Another possibility is the lower east side. I lived their last summer and it was an extremely easy commute to the financial district. It's also really close to a lot of good nightlife. The downside of that area, although it varies, is that it can be kinda dirty. You won't see as many really nice townhouses and such like there are on the UWS or UES, some buildings will have graffiti, etc. Also (semi-rant warning) I lived in the part of the LES close to Chinatown, which is pretty f'ing dirty. I think Chinese people either don't care or don't realize that you're supposed to put your trash out the night before it gets picked up and not leave it out for an entire week. Though you could get lucky and find a decent place a little bit closer to SoHo which is generally nicer.

Anyway, one could go on and on about NYC neighborhoods. If you're just out of college and living here for the first time, you're probably gonna have to make some compromises. Definitely allot at least a week, if you can, for apartment hunting. The NYC housing market preys on desperate people trying to find an apartment in one day.