View Single Post
Old 08-07-2007, 09:49 PM

Default Re: Sharp Sports Betting also apply to soccer? (n00b question)

I've only read the Wong book (the KY book is backordered) and I don't think that there is a lot that will help you in that book.

I don't know of a really good book for soccer handicapping so I can't help you there (maybe I'll write one [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]).

I would definitely poke around on Internet message boards a bit. I remember reading something from an "alleged" English bookie that basically mentioned that they don't rely too much on statistics to create lines. Also, soccer doesn't have the same statistical rigor that a lot of American sports have, so handicapping a soccer match is much different than handicapping an MLB game.

I guess if I was going to start handicapping soccer seriously I would spend a lot of time reading from work that people have already done (right now I'm booking up pretty heavily for the NBA season). I borrow and steal pretty liberally from other peoples work, and I encourage you to do the same. Even books that are primarily targeted at coaches might help you quite a bit.

Anywho, I guess the bottom line is to do a lot of research prior to making any bets, and make sure you remain emotionally detached during the decision making process. Once you've accomplished those two things then you've come a long way as a sports bettor.