View Single Post
Old 08-07-2007, 06:13 PM

Default Thinking about money stops me moving up?

I recently feel that I am starting to get way better than the limits I am accustomed to playing, but I feel that im not giving myself a chance to progress due to my valuation of the money im playing. A little personal backround- im a student with enough money to live. I dont have a lot but not in need of a lot to live. I dont really need poker money to get by, but it is still a lot compared to my real life earnings.
Anyway, I feel like I can build a bankroll at 1/2 and 2/4 quite easily but when I get to $6k or so in my bankroll I get stuck. The excitment of 1/2 and 2/4 loses its appeal, so I move up for a bit. Recently I decided to have a go at the highest levels i could afford to play. I played 5/10 and 10/20 heads up just as a test to see how i get on. I am amazed at how crazy these players are! They push on any draw or any pair. Anyway, the point is even when I have the bankroll to lose a fair bit, it hurts when I lose a lot of money (as I define it in real life). Having just played at these higher level games I am shocked at how poor these players are, but I cant get over the money at risk. I am writing this coming off the back of dropping 2k to 2 chasers who both hit and I feel horrible. It means little to me in a poker sense- i was right both times and im sure i will make it back- but in real life money i feel sick losing that much.
Is this a problem for anyone else? Is there anyway I can remedy this or is it just a case of waiting until i have a secure job to play these higher limits?